While cleaning out my closet in preparation to move, I came across an old poem a friend of mine wrote. Before sharing the poem, I will provide some context. I first met my friend, Joe Kronen, when I started Judo at The University of Connecticut in 1988. We essentially started and shared our judo journey together. We both trained for…
Student Resources, Recommendations and Media
- The Gracie Way: An Illustrated History of the World’s Greatest Martial Arts Family by Kid Peligro
- Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
- Jiu-Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro, Kevin Howell
- Way of the Warrior Kid: Volumes 1-4 by Jocko Willink
Videos and movies
- Great Netflix series about an MMA gym called Kingdom
- Redbelt: “Redbelt” is the story of Mike Terry, a Jiu-jitsu master who has avoided the prize fighting circuit, choosing to instead pursue a life of honor and education by operating a self-defense studio in Los Angeles. Terry’s life is dramatically changed however when he is conned by a cabal of movie stars and promoters.
Blogs and Musings
The CBJJ Gargoyle underwent several revisions and concepts in our early years. Cute and stinky was not the look we were going for, and we set out to make our Gargoyle unique.
Lineage is a unique aspect to the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a relatively new martial art. Because of this, it is easy to seee from whom one received his/her belt; and in turn, from whom that person received their belt.